A suspected serial killer was charged in a seventh murder after witnesses recognized a distinct crescent moon forehead tattoo, officials said.
Perez Deshay Reed, 26, of St. Louis, was already accused in six other killings when he was slapped with the additional first-degree murder charge on Friday, the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office announced.
He’s additionally charged with one count of armed criminal action and two counts of fraud involving a credit or debit device.
The latest charges stem from the fatal shooting in November 2021 of Stephon D. Johnson, whose body was found stuffed inside of a closet in his apartment in midtown Kansas City, Mo. Investigators found he had been shot in the back of the head.
ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOV) – News 4 has learned that the person identified earlier this week as the I-65 serial killer is now being looked at as a possible suspect in the I-70 murders, with a local task force scrambling to compare notes with police authorities in Indiana.
Indiana State Police announced this week that numerous pieces of DNA evidence tied Harry Edward Greenwell to three motel highway killings in Indiana and Kentucky between 1987 and 1990. The I-70 killings happened just two years later in 1992.
Greenwell died of cancer in 2013 at the age of 68. The I-65 killer was also known as the Days Inn Killer. His first victim was at the Super 8 motel in Elizabethtown, Kentucky, before he killed again at the Days Inn in Merrillville, Indiana, and then finally at the Remington, Indiana Days Inn. Police say Greenwell attacked a fourth victim later at the Days Inn in Columbia, Indiana, but she survived and gave police a composite sketch, which matched Greenwell.
“We are talking with the Indiana task force,” said Detective Raymond Floyd, who is heading up the St. Louis task force investigating the I-70 murders. “Right now, it is preliminary. But there are definitely some similarities, and we are going to pursue them.”
WARNING – DISTRESSING CONTENT: A suspected serial killer on trial for murdering a woman after raping and torturing her before ending her life and that of her unborn child had allegedly killed two other pregnant women.
Since his arrest, the defendant, named as 40-year-old Ariel Norberto Garcia, has been charged with murdering two other pregnant women after initially being freed by the courts who believed his story years ago he had acted in self-defence in a robbery gone wrong.
The latest alleged victim, 25-year-old Carolina Medina, was a mother of two who was seven months’ pregnant with her third child when she was brutally raped, tortured and murdered, with her attacker fleeing the scene as she bled to death.
The remains of a woman identified this month were found in a remote wooded area in Litchfield County that has become known as a possible dumping ground for homicide victims dating back to the 1980s and 1990s.
Authorities say there is no connection between the death of Brianna Beam, whose remains were identified this month after being discovered in December, and the other deaths over the years.
All four women that died in the last month and whose deaths are being attributed to a serial killer in spite of emphatic denials from three different county sheriff’s. From left to right: Ukiah’s Alyssa Mae Sawdey, Napa’s Crystal McCarthy, Guerneville’s Cynthia Crane, and Willits’s Amber Dillon.
North Coast community Facebook pages have continued to circulate an unsubstantiated rumor that a serial killer is preying upon women in Mendocino, Sonoma, and Napa Counties. This assumed serial killer’s victims were originally two Mendocino County women but has grown to include one from Sonoma County, and another from Napa County.
We reached out to all three law enforcement agencies investigating the deaths of these four women. All, in their own way, made it clear there was no known connection between these tragedies and these cases are not a result of any serial killer preying on women.