|BEIJING, Nov. 3 (Xinhua) — China on Tuesday urged the United States against further provocation in relation to the South China Sea.
“We urge the United States to […] not take any action that threatens China’s sovereignty and security,” said Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying at a regular press briefing.
Her remarks came in response to a question regarding comments by U.S. Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes on Monday, who said there would be more demonstrations of the U.S. military’s commitment to the right to freely navigate in the region.
According to media reports, the U.S. Navy plans to conduct patrols in the South China Sea about twice a quarter to remind China and other countries about U.S. rights under international law, said a U.S. defense official Monday on condition of anonymity.
Hua said China has always respected and safeguarded the freedom of navigation and overflight of various countries in accordance with international law, but strongly opposes any country using this as an excuse to damage China’s sovereignty and security.
She reiterated that China is firm in its determination and resolve to maintain its territorial sovereignty, security and legitimate maritime interests.
“We will resolutely respond to deliberate provocation from any country,” said the spokesperson, adding that China will closely monitor the situation.
The U.S. warship USS Lassen entered waters near Zhubi Reef last week, which is part of China’s Nansha Islands in the South China Sea, without the permission of the Chinese government.
In response, China has officially lodged a strong protest to the U.S. government, and expressed strong discontent and resolute opposition through various channels.
Full article – http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-11/03/c_134779998.htm