A serial killer in South Korea admitted in court Monday that he murdered 14 women and girls three decades ago, saying he was surprised he wasn’t caught earlier.
Lee Chun-jae confessed to the killings in front of Yoon, the only person ever convicted of any of the murders.
“I didn’t think the crimes would be buried forever,” 57-year-old Lee told a South Korean court.
He confessed to the murders last year to the police, but this is the first time he has publicly discussed the killings.
“I still don’t understand (why I wasn’t a suspect),” Lee said in court. “Crimes happened around me and I didn’t try hard to hide things so I thought I would get caught easily. There were hundreds of police forces. I bumped into detectives all the time but they always asked me about people around me.
“I heard that many people had been investigated and wrongfully suffered. I’d like to apologize to all those people.”
Yoon, whose full name is not being published due to a South Korean law that protects the privacy of suspects and criminals, was released in 2008 after spending 20 years in prison for the 1988 rape and murder of a 13-year-old girl.